Reporting to the Department Chair, the Lecturer will be responsible for teaching multiple courses per semester that may include Human Biology; Anatomy and Physiology I and II; and a foundational course in physiology for biology majors. Implementing student-centered pedagogies that promote active-learning and development of online courses for the science core will be expected. Opportunities will also exist to teach upper-division courses in the Lecturer's area of expertise. In addition, service commitments and other duties as specified by the Department Chair can be expected. Lecturer appointments are renewable one year appointments based upon performance. After six consecutive years of service, lecturers who have demonstrated superior teaching and extraordinary value to the institution are eligible for promotion to Senior Lecturer. Lecturer appointments are non-tenure track, academic year (9/10 month) positions. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Earned master’s in Biology, Physiology, or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate semester hours in the Biological Sciences, by May 31, 2019
- Evidence of commitment to teaching
- Ability to teach undergraduate physiology courses and laboratories
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Effective communication skills in spoken and written English
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution
- Doctoral degree in Biology, Physiology, or a closely related field, by May 31, 2019
- A minimum of 1 year of college/university teaching
- Experience implementing student-centered pedagogies that promote an active learning environment
- Experience teaching online courses
Screening of applications begins November 26, 2018, and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2019. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Robert Mans, Search Chair, Search #67632
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cosm.georgiasouthern.edu/biology/. Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Vice Provost.